Ok, poets and poetesses. A hymn writing opportunity is as common as a Sunday and as rare as a blue moon. Thankfully, I’ve learned of a symposium for LCMS hymn writers and translators: Fresh Hymns of Thankful Praise Arise. And, if you are not a hymn writer, rejoice that the LCMS cares about them enough to have this get together!
Hymn Writing Symposia
The LCMS Office of National Mission is co-sponsoring an event titled “Fresh Hymns of Thankful Praise Arise”: A Symposium for Hymn Writers and Translators. It will be held on November 6–10, 2016, in tandem with the 17thAnnual Conference of The Good Shepherd Institute (GSI) on the campus of Concordia Theological Seminary, Fort Wayne, Indiana. You can download a brochure for the GSI conference from:
Our symposium is an opportunity for LCMS writers and translators of hymn texts to gather together, learn from experts in their field, and from each other.
In addition to offering presentations on selected topics, symposium faculty will be available during “mentoring” periods to work with participants on their hymn writing and translating craft. There will be a number of international hymn writers and translators present and participating as well, so this international component promises a rich and inspiring symposium.
What I want most is to be able to talk with other writers and learn. I’m very sad I will be unable to attend.
There is limited space for hymn writers, but there is also a limited number of scholarships available to cover the cost of registering for GSI and a banquet ticket.
To receive a scholarship:
- Complete the scholarship application information below and email it to: [email protected].
- LCMS Worship will review your application and then send you notification when you have been approved to receive the scholarship.
- Register online for the GSI Conference at http://www.ctsfw.edu/ctsfwevents/good-shepherd-institute/.
- Email a copy of your receipt as proof of registration to [email protected].
- LCMS Worship will then mail you a check for $160.
Scholarship Application Information
In the body of an email to [email protected], please include the following:
- Phone number
- Name of LCMS congregation you attend
- A sample hymn text or translation that you have written
Phone contact: Sandy Bowers, LCMS Worship, 314-996-1741.
This is a great hymn writing opportunity and chance to grow in the craft and fellowship. I’m thankful to God that there are occasions like this when hymn writers can intentionally gather! And, for what it is worth, Good Shepherd is worth attending whether there is something special for hymn writers or not. My husband and I hope to go regularly now that our little ones have grandparents nearby.