Friday, Ray Keating released Past Lives: A Pastor Stephen Grant Short Story, and today I’m reviewing it!
Past Lives Review
Great quick, enjoyable read. I didn’t have a lot of time this weekend, so I especially appreciated the quick notes & fast pace of the journal-entry style storytelling. Best read in a single sitting on a weekend afternoon. 🙂
It starts with a relaxed tone that grows more terse as tensions thicken. I appreciated the occasional reflections. Part of me actually really appreciated just how short each of the entries were! It was satisfying to turn pages so rapidly and there can be a temptation to write for the sake of writing. This story stuck to what was relevant to the characters & plot. Well done.
I wonder if the title is a pun: past lives showing that, in a sense, the past lives on. I don’t know. The ending keeps you thinking.
Thanks for another fun read!
Here are the Pastor Stephen Grant novels & short stories in order with my reviews:
- Warrior Monk (2010) (Reviewed here)
- Root of All Evil? (2012) (Reviewed here)
- An Advent for Religious Liberty (2012) (Reviewed here)
- The River (2014) (Reviewed here)
- Murderer’s Row (2015) (Reviewed here)
- Wine Into Water (2016) (Reviewed here)
- Lionhearts (2017) (Reviewed here)
- Reagan Country (2018) (I missed reviewing one! I know I read it and enjoyed it. Huh.)
- Heroes & Villains (2018) (short story) (Reviewed here)
- Shifting Sands (2018) (short story) (Reviewed here)
- Deep Rough (July 16, 2019) (Reviewed HERE here, above)
- The Traitor (December 9, 2019) (novella?) (Reviewed here)
- Vatican Shadows (November 30, 2020) (Reviewed here)
- Past Lives: A Pastor Stephen Grant Short Story (February 26, 2021) (Reviewed here)